video introduction to sports coaching protocols VIDEO introduction to Sports Coaching Protocols

Old Way/New Way Sports Coaching Books Review Amazon 2020

Rugby League Coaching and Code Changes

A Sports Coaching Protocols® iBook for rugby league is being prepared.

The most suitable existing resources for skill correction/skills coaching in rugby league are the:

Sports Coaching Protocols Online Course.

Sports Coaching Protocols Printable How-To Guide.

Sports Code Changes and Sports Coaching Protocols

Sports Coaching Protocols® are the perfect coaching tool for a sport code change/switch/conversion because they enable the athlete or player to make the change immediately, and there is no reversion or falling back to old ways

Sports Coaching Protocols® are tailor made for one skill set at a time. The Protocols convert specific skills the athlete has mastered in the "old" code to those skills he requires in the "new" code, one skill at a time.

The "new" way is different from, and therefore conflicts with, the "old" way. This conflict activates habit pattern interference, also called proactive inhibition, and this generates massive mental confusion that slows down or sometimes disables learning of the "new" way.

Sports Coaching Protocols® bypass this habit pattern interference and enable the athlete or player to change much more quickly.

Typically, after one successful code change/skill conversion training session using Sports Coaching Protocols® (Old Way/New Way® Learning), an individual, group or team has an 80% or higher probability of immediately performing in the new way; a 20% or lower probability of performing in the old way for a while; and a 90% probability of self-detecting an old way if and when it occurs and then self-correcting it (Figure 1).

It is this large and immediate effect and the elimination of the customary adaptation period that sets Sports Coaching Protocols apart from all other coaching tools. Sports Coaching Protocols® have even been applied just three days before an elite athlete competed successfully in national championships.

Unprecedented training effects of this magnitude are achievable by skilled practitioners in all kinds of sports and at any level from beginner to Olympic.

Code Changes/Code Switch Case studies

Examples of athletes and players who have changed sport codes over the years are well documented. That list covers the following sport conversions:

  • rugby league to rugby union
  • rugby union to rugby league
  • rugby union to Australian Rules football
  • rugby union to American football
  • Australian Rules to rugby union
  • Australian Rules to rugby league
  • Canadian football to American football
  • American football to rugby league
  • American football to rugby union
  • American football to Australian Rules
  • American football to Canadian football
  • Association football to American football
  • Association football to rugby union
  • Association football to rugby league

Coaching for code changes/switches

Coaching for sport code switches starts with a knowledge of the key differences between the codes involved, e.g., the differences between rugby league and rugby union.

Taking a code change from rugby league to rugby union as an example and focusing on the skill of advancing the ball, the key differences in understanding as well as in skill execution should be identified and stated in the following action-oriented way:

  1. What does the player think and do in the old code when he advances the ball? Answer: Play stops when the player in possession of the ball is tackled; play restarts with a play-the-ball by the other team that were previously defending.
  2. What should he be thinking and doing in the new code? Answer: A team in possession does not need to surrender possession whilst they are able to keep the ball.
  3. What are the main differences between 1 and 2? Answer: Although rugby league players are not allowed to try to dispossess the ball carrier between tackles, unless the tackle committed is a one on one tackle, rugby union players are allowed to win possession during open play.

Once the key differences in understanding and in skill execution have been identified for each skill set, Sports Coaching Protocols® can then be prepared for each skill set involved to help the player change quickly from one code to the other.

Top Menu